How can I Import MBOX File to Thunderbird? Verified Solution
Mozilla Thunderbird is an application that is preferred by a large community because it doesn’t cost you anything. Besides this, it can configure multiple user accounts at once. It also offers numerous upgrading features and an easy and intuitive interface.
Like Thunderbird, other email applications including Apple Mail, Eudora, Opera Mail, Google Takeout, etc. also support MBOX file format. This leads to the need to add MBOX file to Thunderbird email client.
So, this blog explains the reasons and the methods behind the MBOX to Thunderbird importation in detail.
Can Thunderbird Import MBOX Files?
There can be several reasons to import MBOX data into Thunderbird platform. A few of them are mentioned in the next section of the blog:
- First and foremost is to open an orphan MBOX file. To open an orphaned MBOX file, it is necessary to have an email client that is compatible with MBOX file.
- It is efficiently functional with both Mac and Windows operating systems.
- Apart from this, while importing a Thunderbird profile into a new computer, one has to import the desired file into a new Thunderbird.
Methods to Import MBOX File to Thunderbird?
There is one manual and one automated solution to add MBOX emails to Thunderbird. We will first explain the working steps for the native method. Following that, we will be mentioning the guaranteed solution to perform MBOX to Thunderbird exportation in a few steps.
Can Thunderbird Import MBOX Files Manually?
The manual method consists of two steps that have to be followed in a stepwise manner.
Phase 1: Install Add-ons in Thunderbird
- The first and foremost step is to run the Mozilla Thunderbird application on your device.
- After this, click on horizontal lines present on the upper side.
- Then, hit the Add-ons option from the menu.
- From here, search for Import/ExportTools NG in the search bar.
- Once done, click on Add to Thunderbird button adjacent to Import/ExportTools NG.
Subsequently, the add-on is finally added to the Mozilla Thunderbird email client.
Phase 2: Import MBOX File to Thunderbird
MBOX files can be imported straight into Thunderbird’s POP account and Local Folders. It is not possible to directly import it into an IMAP account. Simply import the MBOX file into Local Folders for IMAP, then pick the emails and Copy to/ Move to the IMAP folders.
- Open Thunderbird email client and click on the ID mentioned on the top left side of the panel.
- Right-click on it and then choose ImportExportTools NG
- From there, hit the Import MBOX file option
- Afterward, choose the Import directly one or more MBOX file >> click OK.
- Now, as per your requirements, click on the desired emails.
- This is how your MBOX files will be successfully imported into the Thunderbird email client.
Why Avoid Manual Method?
If you use the manual method, then you might face the below-mentioned steps.
- Broken inline images
- Lost MBOX mailboxes
- Time-consuming and technical expertise is required.
Add MBOX File to Thunderbird – A Guaranteed Approach
To overcome all the disadvantages offered by the native approach we are here mentioning a trusted solution. 3Steps Software is an appropriate choice to efficiently import MBOX data into Thunderbird application. It is an error-free, handy and efficient utility. Furthermore, the tool has an easy and intuitive graphical user interface so that a novice user can operate on it.
It offers features like date-filtration, folder hierarchy, and data integrity maintenance. Besides this, an expert team has been set up to assist you with all your queries, 24X7. One can also avail the free trial without investing any money in it.
The Final Verdict
In this blog, we have mentioned both the manual and automated methods to import MBOX file to Thunderbird email clients. It solely depends on our users to opt for the suitable method as per their requirements and technical knowledge.
Related Posts: Know how to import MBOX files into Gmail account efficiently