How to Backup IMAP Email to PST? Know Here!
IMAP is short for Internet Message Access Protocol which provides you to access the mails on different servers. But it really becomes a hectic situation when a user opts to create a backup of the emails present on their IMAP server. Considering the growing popularity of the MS Outlook cloud platform, each day more and more users are planning to backup IMAP email to PST File Format.
Microsoft Outlook holds 70% of the cloud market because of its versatile features. Also, it is a highly reliable email client which is used by both, large and small enterprises. There are several other parameters that lure the users to backup IMAP data into Outlook PST format.
To overcome all such issues, the next section of the blog comprises the solutions which can be easily used. So, without much further ado, let’s know why users prefer to create the backup of IMAP data into PST file format.
Why Backup Emails from IMAP to PST
Because of the wide popularity of MS Outlook, there is a high number of users who are searching for ways to perform this exportation. The below section of the article holds the factors defining the needs of creating the backup.
- To access the data in offline mode, it is mandatory to download the emails first.
- In order to keep the data safe and away from unnecessary vulnerabilities or circumstances, it is advised to create a backup in advance.
After discussing the reasons for the backup creation, we will now know the ways to backup IMAP email to PST file format.
Workarounds to Backup IMAP Mailbox into PST
There are two ways using which you can accomplish this task.
#1. Manually Create IMAP Backup to PST
Before initiating this method, please ensure that your IMAP account is properly configured with the Outlook application.
If it is not, then make sure to configure it first and synchronize the data in a proper manner. Afterward, begin with the steps provided below to perform the task in a stepwise way.
- Open Outlook and then navigate to the File menu.
- From here, click on the Open & Export option >> click Import & Export.
- From the Import/Export wizard, backup the emails by clicking on the Export to a file option.
- The next step is to choose the Outlook data file(.pst) option >> hit Next.
- Once done, move to the location by clicking on the Browse button >> click Finish.
This method seems easy but it has its own limitations which we will cover in the next section of the blog.
Drawbacks to Backup IMAP Email to PST Manually
- Errors can lead to severe data loss that cannot be recovered.
- No provision for selective or bulk migration.
- Allows to backup data from a single folder at a time.
- Tedious, repetitive, and cumbersome method.
- Not suitable to backup data of huge size.
#2. Backup IMAP Mailbox to PST File Format – All at Once
To create a backup of all the data once, opt for the NXT Software. It is an advanced, error-free, and robust application that is designed with the latest algorithms. It is capable to create the backup of selective IMAP data items only by using the date filter. Besides this, it ensures that there won’t be any data loss or alterations of any sort.
Also, the delete after download option provides you to create the free space in the server after creating the backup. Other than that, the free trial version can be downloaded without investing a single penny in it. The graphical user interface of the software is self-explanatory to help out the non-technical users.
The Final Verdict
It is always a wise decision to have a handy backup of all the data. In the aforementioned blog, we have covered two ways to backup IMAP email to PST file format. Users can opt for the one which fulfills their requirements in the best possible manner